SilverMalaysia

Friday, July 8, 2011

Customer Behavior


Week 24.1 Customer (end user) Buying Behavior
The customer itself
Lot of customers heard a lot of news/comments/etc, some heard the same news, some heard similar news and some heard different news from various different sources. Some of the news/comments/etc they heard including Peak Oil, Fiat currency, Printing Press of Federal Reserve etc. All these lead to one message “Buy gold and silver”. So, initially customer will have some saving in Fixed Deposit, Shares, Unit Trust and other investment vehicle.  Normally, they will target a portion of their saving to be in Precious Metal. Some will be on gold and some will be on silver. Off course those who are no-buy-Back-Chicken will only buy gold. According to Jon Nadler KitcoMetal, one should have at least 15% of your wealth in Precious metal.
Thus, they will then buy from me or someone else. For some customer, the initial purchase may be very small 1oz or 10 oz because they don’t know me mah. Ok it’s fine. Later on when the trust is built, they will buy a lot, maybe 100 oz. Just refer to my ebay feedback, you can see some of the repeated purchase. Then they ran out of cash as they already converted part of their saving into precious metal. Bear in mind, they also invest in gold which I normally don’t sell. (how to compete with UOB?.)
So let cut it short after, the customer converted his saving into precious metal, it is very unlikely for him to buy some more as he run out of cash. 100 oz is RM13000 already. RM13K silver, RM20K gold, RM10K cash, property, car etc. You can make your own calculation depending on your net worth. Not everybody is rich ok.
Customer Network
For some customer they will buy only for themselves, even their wife doesn’t know much about it. Part of the reason is their wife will “Nee Ngor Nee Ngor Nee Ngor”, why you buy so many “besi buruk”? Who will buy back your thing ler?
Some will resell the silver to their network of people. Thus my sale is dependent on their sales. After a while, those resellers who are strong (tahan lasak) becomes my competitor + friend. Their customers become my customer then later become my competitor and most importantly remain as my friend. What a tough market? Maybe one day I become a customer of my competitor.
Depending on certain customer, some will manage to influence their wife, relatives to buy silver. Thus, the amount may be more or less equivalent to what the customer spent. Let said the customer budgeted 10K for silver, his relative++ will also have a budget of 10K. Thus, for some customer, you will get additional indirect sales from the customer relatives. In most case, I normally deal with the customer and they will deal with their relatives.
After that the sales will dried up, it‘s not professional for me to pester them for more sales even if there is a good offer because not everybody is rich. Thus, I seldom email them or call them. Nevertheless, if they call me I‘ll always respond back. Once a while when there is a crisis (when silver goes up to USD49++ last April May 2011) I will get many call-lah. For new business expansion I have to find new customer, if not I will have to close shop and look for something else.

4 comments:

  1. I think u shud sell back 1 ounce again , and sell some bullion lah rather than all silver bars , bullion has year there so customers of a sense of how long the thing has been in circulation.

    I noticed customers like silver bullions more than silver bars. (maybe it is prettier also)

    For people not rich like me, we can buy 1-2 ounce every month, 10-20 ounces every month ?? tak bleh lah ... through instalment can lah but no paypal offered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is true my wife also nge nge ngo ngo at me why keep so many besi buruk ... cannot eat also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to like your store the time when you are selling silver eagles and kookaburra ... hot selling stuffs. :) ... maybe good to go back to old way again.

    of course is ma fan to ship small small item, no choice lah, all businesses have to be like that entertain small small business but higher in volume

    ReplyDelete
  4. bullion business not profitable lah. poeple buy in 1-2 pcs, got to put in air-tites, packing just consumed too much time. Let others do that business lah. Got many sellers doing mah. U can get from them lor.

    ReplyDelete